Russian Iconography Workshop with Fr. Anthony Gunin
Time & Location
Taught by Fr. Anthony Gunin
An extraordinary opportunity to study and work with Russian Master Iconographer Father Anthony Gunin. A powerful weeklong journey studying through the methods of Russian iconography utilizing mediums of egg tempera and watercolor.
In this workshop, the student will focus on Saint Anne and the Virgin Mary as a child. Using traditional Russian techniques, students will prepare and transfer drawings, covering and opening up the icon for basic color using the proplasmos technique, and writing the icon using negative color lining of garments.
Techniques such as sankar, probella, and lichnoe pismo will be utilized to create and paint highlights, accents, and detailing of robes to complete the icon. In addition, students will learn the approaches of assist with chalk stain method, application of gold leaf, and the refinement of details. Naming of the icon, as well as the method of opush, is the final set to bordering the icon.
This week long workshop's studio time lasts five consecutive days and begins Sunday night at 5:30 pm with a dinner for students and instructors. Dinner is followed by a workshop introduction and conference which ends at 9:30 pm. Hands-on instruction begins early Monday morning. The entire workshop ends Friday at noon.
Workshop Flyer: Coming Soon
Workshop Tuition: 5 Day Workshop: $900
- Commuter: Workshop + Daily Lunch and Dinner: $1250.00
- Resident: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Shared Room: $1550.00
- Private Room: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Private Room: $1675.00
*Hot Breakfast, 2-course Lunch, 3-course Dinner, and snacks.
For more reservation details, contact us at: (860) 536-0565
Rooming options are subject to availability. We do our very best to ensure that all of our resident students room on Enders Island. In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for you to room off-island at a local hotel. In such cases, Enders Island will let you know well ahead of time, and we will provide transportation to and from your classes.
Click here to view photos of our accommodations.
- A $125 materials fee is included in the cost of this workshop.
- All materials used in this workshop will be pre-ordered and made available to students in the classroom by the instructor. All other equipment and art supplies are property of the Enders Island Sacred Art Institute.
- All first time students are required to pay the full materials fee. Students returning to Enders Island may be eligible for a discount if they bring previously purchased, reusable materials. Please call the office for more information: (860) 536-0565
All deposits are non-refundable. Please read and understand our full Cancellation Policy prior to your purchase. Thank you!
- Commuter—Pay In Full$1,250$1,2500$0
- Single Room—Pay In Full$1,675$1,6750$0
- Single Room—Deposit$250$2500$0