Prayer of St. Francis: A Calligraphy Workshop
Time & Location
Registration Deadline: October 4
Taught by Kathy Milici
The Prayer of St. Francis is about transformation; who we are, how we want to live, and finding our way from here to there. The meaning of this prayer provides both deep insight for our lives and a wonderful opportunity for spiritual reflection:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Join Kathy on a journey steeped in tradition, as we reflect on and honor this much loved prayer through creating the written text and painted illustration which brings it to life. During this week, participants will first focus learn a quick, fresh vertical italic style of writing, stroke by stroke, with a broad-edged dip pen.
Next, we will focus on the creation of a successful layout using pencil sketches, how to decide on your creative direction, and how to achieve a beautiful and visually rich result through balance, proportion and scale as well as optimal color choices.
Kathy has chosen the red poppy flower for our watercolor illustration, which symbolizes peace, remembrance, resurrection and the salvation of the soul (through the blood of Christ). She will teach her unique techniques in ink sketching over watercolor painting, adding depth and dimension, and which can be used in any type of art.
After that, we will add the highlights, shadows and the final finishing touches to complete your own beautiful Prayer of St. Francis, suitable for framing!
This week-long workshop's studio time lasts five consecutive days and begins Sunday night at 5:30 pm with a dinner for students and instructors. Dinner is followed by a workshop introduction and conference which ends at 9:30 pm. Hands-on instruction begins early Monday morning. The entire workshop ends Friday at noon.
Workshop Flyer: Download and Print
Workshop Tuition: 5 Day Workshop: $360
- Commuter: Workshop + Daily Lunch and Dinner: $660.00
- Resident: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Shared Room: $985.00
- Private Room: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Private Room: $1135.00
*Hot Breakfast, 2-course Lunch, 3-course Dinner, and snacks.
For more reservation details, contact us at: (860) 536-0565
Rooming options are subject to availability. We do our very best to ensure that all of our resident students room on Enders Island. In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for you to room off-island at a local hotel. In such cases, Enders Island will let you know well ahead of time, and we will provide transportation to and from your classes.
Click here to view photos of our accommodations.
- A $100 materials fee is included in the cost of this workshop. Please consult the syllabus for a full list of what materials will be provided.
- All materials used in this workshop will be pre-ordered and made available to students in the classroom by the instructor. All other equipment and art supplies are property of the Enders Island Sacred Art Institute.
- All first time students are required to pay the full materials fee. Students returning to Enders Island may be eligible for a discount if they bring previously purchased, reusable materials. Please call the office for more information: (860) 536-0565
All deposits are non-refundable. Please read and understand our full Cancellation Policy prior to your purchase. Thank you!
Please call our office for housing availability.
- Commuter—Pay In Full$660$6600$0
- Shared Room—Pay In Full$985$9850$0
- Shared Room—Deposit$250$2500$0
- Private Room—Pay In Full$1,135$1,1350$0
- Private Room—Deposit$250$2500$0