Our Lady Undoer of Knots Icon Workshop
Time & Location
Our Lady Undoer of Knots imagery is based in part on a reflection by Saint Irenaeus, that "Eve, by her disobedience, tied the knot of disgrace for the human race; whereas Mary, by her obedience, undid it."
In this icon workshop, students will learn drawing, composition, painting, recreation of earthen palette, and techniques of iconography taken from the Byzantine style—obtained and applied in the contemporary medium of acrylic. The workshop will provide hands-on training in the rubrics of of traditional iconography and lectures covering the history and theology of the Undoer of Knots icon. Careful, individual attention will be given by acclaimed iconographer Veronica Royal to each participant. Some artistic understanding is helpful. Each student will bring home a completed icon.
Studio time for this week-long workshop lasts five consecutive days and begins Sunday night at 5:30 pm with a dinner for students and instructors. Dinner is followed by a guided walking meditation, workshop introduction, lecture and beginning work time. Sunday evening ends at 9:30 pm. The entire workshop ends Friday at noon with lunch.
Sr. Eugenia Brady, SJC, Spiritual Director of The School of Sacred Art, will be present at this workshop to guide and help students spiritually. Holy Mass is offered daily in the beautiful Chapel of Our Lady of the Assumption, which features the sacred artwork of several of the masters who teach at the Institute.
Workshop Flyer: Download and Print
Workshop Tuition: 5 Day Workshop: $360
- Commuter: Workshop + Daily Lunch and Dinner: $660.00
- Resident: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Shared Room: $985.00
- Private Room: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Private Room: $1135.00
*Hot Breakfast, 2-course Lunch, 3-course Dinner, and snacks.
For more reservation details, contact us at: (860) 536-0565
Rooming options are subject to availability. We do our very best to ensure that all of our resident students room on Enders Island. In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for you to room off-island at a local hotel. In such cases, Enders Island will let you know well ahead of time, and we will provide transportation to and from your classes.
Click here to view photos of our accommodations.
- A $100 materials fee is included in the cost of this workshop.
- All materials used in this workshop will be pre-ordered and made available to students in the classroom by the instructor. All other equipment and art supplies are property of the Enders Island Sacred Art Institute.
- All first time students are required to pay the full materials fee. Students returning to Enders Island may be eligible for a discount if they bring previously purchased, reusable materials. Please call the office for more information: (860) 536-0565
All deposits are non-refundable. Please read and understand our full Cancellation Policy prior to your purchase. Thank you!
- Commuter—Pay In Full$660$6600$0
- Shared Room—Pay In Full$985$9850$0
- Shared Room—Deposit$250$2500$0
- Private Room—Pay In Full$1,135$1,1350$0
- Private Room—Deposit$250$2500$0