Miniature Icon of Christ Pantocrator Workshop
Time & Location
Used in Christian art throughout the ages, miniatures have long been important to the faithful as a deep and personalized aspect of Iconography. In this specialized, weekend icon workshop, the concentration of study will be a miniature icon of Christ, Pantocrator. The Pantocrator Icon of Christ represents Christ as the ruler of the universe, especially in Byzantine church decoration.
In this workshop students will learn how to prepare a miniature wooden 4x6 size icon board; explore and utilize Byzantine principles of iconographic design; paint the icon with two historically ancient organic paint mediums - egg tempera (earthen mineral pigments) and encaustic medium (Beeswax & pigment).
Theology of the icon, the history and the concentration of the Jesus prayer used in iconography will be in focus as students write their icons.
Students will complete a miniature icon painting to take home at the end of this course. Some artistic understanding is helpful. Beginner and intermediate student will be challenged. If you are an advanced student, the instructor will adjust the project accordingly.
Workshop Flyer: Download and Print
Workshop Tuition: Weekend Workshop: $150
- Commuter: Workshop + Daily Lunch and Dinner: $255.00
- Resident: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Shared Room: $420.00
- Private Room: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Private Room: $480.00
*Hot Breakfast, 2-course Lunch, 3-course Dinner, and snacks.
For more reservation details, contact us at: (860) 536-0565
Rooming options are subject to availability. We do our very best to ensure that all of our resident students room on Enders Island. In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for you to room off-island at a local hotel. In such cases, Enders Island will let you know well ahead of time, and we will provide transportation to and from your classes.
Click here to view photos of our accommodations.
- A $40 materials fee is included in the cost of this workshop.
- All materials used in this workshop will be pre-ordered and made available to students in the classroom by the instructor. All other equipment and art supplies are property of the Enders Island Sacred Art Institute.
- All first time students are required to pay the full materials fee. Students returning to Enders Island may be eligible for a discount if they bring previously purchased, reusable materials. Please call the office for more information: (860) 536-0565
All deposits are non-refundable. Please read and understand our full Cancellation Policy prior to your purchase. Thank you!
- Commuter—Pay In Full$255$2550$0
- Shared Room—Pay In Full$420$4200$0
- Shared Room—Deposit$100$1000$0
- Private Room—Pay In Full$480$4800$0
- Private Room—Deposit$100$1000$0