Iconography of Mary Workshop
Time & Location
Registration Deadline: August 2
Ancient and contemporary methods of iconography meet within the art of Renaissance painting Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn Icon workshop. (Lithuania 17th Century)
This workshop will combine classical traditional, Byzantine and contemporary iconography techniques for the concentration of this week long, intensive iconography workshop of Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn.
A lecture sets off the workshop, as the theology of Mary icons is explored. Methods that date back over two thousand years will be used within this fully instructed, hands on course, special attention is given to each student, decorations, and importance of symbolic application used in the icon will also be examined. This hands on workshop will include classical, byzantine and contemporary methods of iconography techniques. The design for the icon is analyzed and will be directly taken from an ancient prototype provided. A review of icon board theory, history of the icon and fundamentals of classical egg tempera paint medium, including understanding of pigments, paint mixing, and application of painting medium is reviewed in its entirety. Students will learn gold leaf theory, and will make varying recipes for shell gold, beer gold, oil gilding and water gilding, while learning to apply gold leaf for decoration and gold assiste lines on the icon.
Daily prayer such as, the Iconographer's Prayer, The Our Father and readings from the book of Genesis is included in our every day practice of Iconography during the workshop. *There will be hand outs and required reading given to each student at the introduction evening.
Students will complete an icon painting to take home at the end of this course. Some artistic understanding is helpful. Beginner and intermediate student will be challenged. If you are advanced student the instructor will advance the project accordingly.
This week-long workshop's studio time lasts five consecutive days and begins Sunday night at 5:30 pm with a dinner for students and instructors. Dinner is followed by a lecture, workshop introduction, and beginning work time. Sunday evening ends at 9:30 pm. The entire workshop ends Friday at noon with lunch."
Workshop Flyer: Download and Print
Workshop Tuition: 5 Day Workshop: $360
- Commuter: Workshop + Daily Lunch and Dinner: $675.00
- Resident: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Shared Room: $1,000.00
- Private Room: Workshop + Daily Meal Package* + Private Room: $1,150.00
*Hot Breakfast, 2-course Lunch, 3-course Dinner, and snacks.
For more reservation details, contact us at: (860) 536-0565
Rooming options are subject to availability. We do our very best to ensure that all of our resident students room on Enders Island. In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for you to room off-island at a local hotel. In such cases, Enders Island will let you know well ahead of time, and we will provide transportation to and from your classes.
Click here to view photos of our accommodations.
- A $120 materials fee is included in the cost of this workshop. Please consult the syllabus for a full list of what materials will be provided.
- All materials used in this workshop will be pre-ordered and made available to students in the classroom by the instructor. All other equipment and art supplies are property of the Enders Island Sacred Art Institute.
- All first time students are required to pay the full materials fee. Students returning to Enders Island may be eligible for a discount if they bring previously purchased, reusable materials. Please call the office for more information: (860) 536-0565
All deposits are non-refundable. Please read and understand our full Cancellation Policy prior to your purchase. Thank you!
- Commuter—Pay In Full$680$6800$0
- Shared Room—Pay In Full$1,005$1,0050$0
- Shared Room—Deposit$250$2500$0
- Private Room—Pay In Full$1,155$1,1550$0
- Private Room—Deposit$250$2500$0